Monday, October 19, 2009

a new chapter in the book of Heather

Well, I've done it...twice this weekend actually...I finished a book. Completely read it from cover to cover. It's been years since I've done that for pleasure. I mean, I've read textbooks and classic literature for school and such...but I haven't read a book just for me in so long. Tutoring literacy has been such a good boost for me to pick up a book and just read. I like reading the books that the kids would be into anyway....and it helps me to be able to recommend books to them. So far this school year I have read:
Annie's Baby, by: Anonymous
Speak, by: Laurie Halse Anderson
Story of a Girl, by: Sara Zarr
and I'm half way through with The Brothers Torres, by: Coert Voorhees right now. I'm excited to see this list grow and expand as I read more and more. I'm also excited to stretch my mind and vocabulary as I read more...I miss being challenged intelectually now that I'm out of school. So I guess it's time to school myself! lol
You know, it's funny. These little accomplishments like finishing a book. They seem like such simple things...and yet as I've watched my students complete their very first chapter book in their life and how excited and proud of themselves they are...I've come to realize that this is an accomplishment worth celebrating in my life too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment